Online resources on broad topics of interest in the biological sciences
- www·science.gov– Authoritative selected science information provided by U.S. government agencies, including research and development results.
- WWW Virtual Library: Biosciences – Extensive list of on-line bioscience resources arranged by specific subject area.
- Action Bioscience – Articles by scientists, science educators, and science students on issues related to seven bioscience challenges: environment, biodiversity, genomics, biotechnology, evolution, new frontiers in science, and bioscience education.
Chemistry and Biochemistry
- BioOne – Provides full-texts of high-impact bioscience research journals, most published by small societies and non-commercial publishers.
- Chemweb – Provides access to the information chemists need to enhance their research, product development, self-development, education, and/or their businesses in Chemistry and related disciplines. Giving users easy access to abstracts, papers, books, conferences, news, forums and the Alchemist newsletter .
Free Web Resources
- Agricola Search for journal articles, conference papers, books, audiovisuals, and other resources covering all aspects of agriculture and related sciences held by the
National Agriculture Library.
- Computational Molecular Biology at NIH – Analytical tools, databases, lab protocols, and reference sources in molecular biology.
Provided by the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- EcoCyc – Encyclopedia of Escherichia coli K12 Genes and Metabolism: a searchable database describing the genome and the biochemical machinery of E. coli K-12.
Searchable databases including: Nucleotide Sequence (GenBank, RefSeq, and PDB), Protein Sequence, Genome, Structure, Taxonomy, and many more. From the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- GenBank – Entrez (DNA and protein sequence data, 3D structure data, and associated MEDLINE entries), BLAST (sequence similarity search tool), dbEST (Database of Expressed Sequence Tags), and dbSTS (Database of Sequence Tagged Sites). By NCBI.
- Human Anatomy Online – Interactive manual of human anatomy. Over one hundred illustrations and thousands of descriptions.
- ITIS – Integrated Taxonomic Information System
Database of species names and their hierarchical classification, focusing on the biota of
- National Biological Information Infrastructure (NBII) – The NBII links diverse, high-quality biological databases, information products, and analytical tools maintained by NBII partners and other contributors in government agencies, academic institutions, non-government organizations, and private industry.
- Protein Data Bank – Worldwide depository of information about the three-dimensional structures of large biological molecules, including proteins and nucleic acids.
- The Biology Project – The Biology Project is an interactive online resource for learning biology, developed at The University of Arizona. Units include: Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Developmental Biology, Mendelian Genetics, and Molecular Biology.